Friday, June 19, 2009

Chairs


I think today we should consider chairs.
Chairs are very functional. They have four legs to hold you up and some have arms to help you up. Some are low slung and some are stiff and sturdy. You can rest there. You can sleep there. Although you might get a crook in your neck, if you sleep there for too long a time. And they are very useful when you are shopping and need to rest!
Katie needs some for her house--particularly kitchen chairs, though she has some great ones that work well outside.
My outside ones are plastic and have lasted a long time.
In the classroom I have blue ones and light weight blue ones but only two with wheels and three grown up chairs. Once I had a rocking chair but a student broke it, ( this happened on a day I was absent.) He stuck his head between the rungs in the back support part of the chair.
In our living room we have a rocking chair and a recliner and two chairs with wheels, one is for the computer and one the scrapbooking tables.
I used to like to sit in a chair at the pool and watch as my children were swimming and diving. Now though I can't sit in the pool chairs and get up gracefully as they are too low.
I like the chairs at my parent's cabin in Michigan. They are caned, by my father and some have arms which make them easy to get out of. They are arranged across from the couch so that guests can take a seat when they come into the cabin. Others are pushed into the table so that you can sit on them during dinner.
We all need to sit in chairs. If a chair is empty then anybody should be welcome to sit in it. In my classroom people get to sit in the teacher's chair or in the rolling chair as a reward. A.M. Smith says in the book tea Time For the Traditionally Built that the problem with the modern world is that not enough of us are prepared to share our chairs.

That is true for many things. We are not prepared to share we just use and throw aside.
I chose the photo in honor of Thea's birthday today and Father's Day on Sunday. FYI they are sitting in chairs. Yep! Chairs are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment