Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Creek!


When I saw this picture I remembered how much....I love the Creek.
I love getting my feet wet as I am walking in the creek! The water is so cool. The snakes are so black. The shady areas are so green. The rocks are so wobbly and slippery with green slime. There is that certain decadent odor from a creek and the sand glitters from the mica in the tiny pieces of rock.
Many years ago I used to walk along Sligo Creek and every time I would fall in~even when I wasn't supposed to get wet. I would take a hike over it as a short cut walking to Rollingcrest.
At Miami I loved the science classes for teachers where we would walk along the Hueston Woods creek beds. We would turn big chunks of rock over and look at the little critters under the rock. We would hunt along the rocky shores for fossils like the pointy horn coral crinoids that reminded me cows, brachiopods (those tiny double bumped grey ridge ones) and bryozoa (the little sticky things). See I even recall the names of the darn things!
But my favorite creek to hunt along was at Peiffer Park. It was such fun to hike along the Bluffs and then slide down the hill and into the creek at the bottom. Many a summer day I took my kids there after church on Sunday. As we would walk along it we would see the baby black snakes or maybe even find a box turtle. Ah, now I can hardly walk along the creek bed. I worry that I will fall in and being not much more coordinated than I was 50 years ago I probably will fall in!
Yep a creek is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment