Sunday, July 21, 2013

NANOWRMO

It is official.  I joined a novel writing club and in November I will get a chance to write a novel in a month. Between now and then I am kicking around ideas in my brain and reading how to teach writing articles from my teaching books and doing the steps in learning to write fiction. It is so much harder to write fiction than to write non-fiction. That is because you have to have a setting and characters that are more than names and action that is more than this happened. You also have to have a plot and a theme and a good idea. To get even more specific you have to have a voice and even genre of writing to begin with. So I am thinking of things and wondering about putting together a story of faith and love. The story of Ruth from the Bible comes to mind. I could just use the plot and modernize it. Or I could take the real Bible story and expand about it describing how people lived in that time. The second one sort of appeals to me because I love to do research.  As a teacher I always said,  "Write about what you know." Well I will keep kicking around ideas and maybe by November I will have my outline ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment