Sunday, November 11, 2012

Halloween!

           I know. I know. Halloween was so several weeks ago. ON  October 28 a Sunday evening I had the opportunity to go with Jiangmei and he father Dr. He trick or treating. We went to the dorms and Jiangmei had a terrific time. She collected candy, decorated a pumpkin cookie and got some coloring sheets.  We also saw her friends from class and enjoyed the costumes of the other children. More than anything Jiangmei wanted a pretty princess dress. I couldn't find one of  Lita's that she could borrow,  so instead I painted her fingernails in princess colors. "The Trick or Treat" adventure was so much fun! I was exhausted when it was over. I was also left with a gratefulness of living in a country where kids can go begging for fun not for real.
         My memories of  Halloween are good with costumes made by my mother and later of making them for my own children. One thing that we used to do that I don't see much of now is Trick or Treat for UNICEF. I wonder if that organization still has the program to collect money for children of the poor countries of the world. To collect money so that children don't have to walk miles with buckets to gather water in buckets for their drinking washing and other places.
       I am continually reminded that as Americans we are so blessed  to live in this country. America is where even those who have so little have so much in comparison to those living in other parts of the world.

2 comments:

  1. you should have just bought a sparkly dress at goodwill surely they would have had a few. Well I am glad you enjoyed it either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      I didn't know she didn't have a costume until the Sunday of Trick or treat.

      Delete