Friday, February 3, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

 It is Malcolm Gladwell in his book Outliers: The Story of Success who talks about the 10,000 hour rule.  He says when we look at people who are very proficient at what they are doing, we know they have spent at least 10,000 hours practicing. 
Wow! that is a lot of hours to practice anything. It is amazing that anyone gets to be good at anything. Of course, I think that a person needs to have an inclination to a sport or other activity to want to practice it so long and to some degree your body has to be conditioned to do or be acceptable to things.
Anyway, I lift my cup up to the football players, basketball players, piano players, preachers, readers, typists, writers and anyone else who is more than proficient in any area. 
Congratulations to all people who practice!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I've done anything for 10,000 hours. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think that I have read for about that long and I am sure that you have too. probably you have typed that long too. I know that my friend Jo Ann in Ky has probably played the piano that long, too. Notice it says Very proficient!

    ReplyDelete