Saturday, September 3, 2011

Animals Around My House

Living here at 712 Erin Drive I have discovered wild animals. Quite often in the evening and sometimes in the dark of night there are deer crossing the road looking for something yummy to eat. They just saunter across without a care in the world. I wanted to photograph a pair of fawns the other night, but by the time I had the camera they had run away. The fawns had such soft looking fur and they held their noses in the air as if waiting for a delectable smell
Another animal to wander around the house in the evening has been a black and white striped skunk. I believe that it lives under the shed in the back. One night when Karen and I were coming home from Hamilton it strolled across the street and we watched as it made its way to the back yard. I did not turn on the light so I didn't see it and then the other morning I was sure that I smelled it!
But my favorite animals are the birds. Today I saw a Bright Red Male Cardinal catch a grasshopper for lunch. And of course my favorite of the birds are the hummingbirds.
As I stand in the kitchen and wash dishes they buzz around the feeder. There are two maybe more of them and one of them likes to stand guard and prevent the other from getting a drink! They sneak up and try to trick each other by going this way and that way around the feeder. I've even been able to sit on the glider and wait for them to fly up,
Ah retirement!

1 comment:

  1. how fun to the the animals around. We have a skunk that comes around every now and then. We used to have some raccoons too. I think the wild domestic animals are keeping all the wildlife away.

    ReplyDelete