Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thoughts on Aging

Well, I am back. I spent 10 days in Kentucky taking care of my friend Jo Ann's mother in law and husband. Spring was lovely and restful. Lots of cows, horses, and flowers. Someone asked me, "Why can't her son take care of her?" It is complicated, but I will tell you that Jo Ann is the most able bodied one of the Gano family and she has braces on her legs from childhood polio. Sam was in a car accident and he does well to care for himself. His sister had a brain tumor and was operated on and lived. Though she is sweet, communication is a problem, and she has a husband who is having mental problems and she must keep an eye on him. His brother has had throat cancer and can't talk and his wife has back problems and can't stand up right. Mom law's grand children are not people with integrity. When I was there one of them came over and wanted to take her to a funeral. This woman is 93 and she can't walk to the kitchen from the bedroom quickly. How would she be from the car to the church? Or the car to the grave site? Some people don't think. Jo Ann thought he might come by and want to take her some place, but ultimately it would be to the bank.
While I was there I read two books, watched a little basketball, cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner, and played cards. This is in addition to taking care of Mom law. I discovered how beautiful spring can be. The tiny flowers were so lovely. The white flowering trees were too, but they didn't last long.
This is what I thought about as I cared for Mom law. Everything goes in slow motion and there is time to reflect and carefully get things right.  When you are old your skin becomes transluecent and your bones become brittle. You can even see your blood vessels.Your hair becomes gray and your skin gets spots.Those are really ugly. It is a challenge to get to the bathroom and even dressing takes a long time. It is hard to walk, talk, see and hear. It is hard to know if people want to be with you because they are there for money or because they genuinely like you.
Being old is part of life. It is good to see life in the old age, but I do not know the advantages of living 93 years. I have a few pictures and one day will post them.


2 comments:

  1. So, did he take her to the funeral? or was is just a ruse? so did you get some relaxing in? or was it all hard work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Rick did not take her to the funeral. I suggested he take Sam, but that did not fly either. Yes, it was a ruse to get Momlaw alone with him so he could get her to write a check for some sort of investment scheme.
      No, I didn't really get much relaxing in, but the countryside and weather were wonderful.

      Delete