Sunday, August 4, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird

Well I finished novel #one. I don't know if I read this book before but I do know that I have only seen the movie in bits and pieces. I remember the actor who played Atticus, Gregory Peck,  and the little girl who played Scout. I could not put it down and longed to stay up late finishing it. That is the kind of novel I want to write. Do you remember reading it? If you read this blog let me know if you read it and if you remember the story line.
Since 1960 when this book was written, I have read many stories about Civil Rights and racial equality. In fact one yer I saw the inequality of the races first hand. But when I was living it, I didn't even recognize it as a problem.  In fact one year much later, one of my students asked me,  "Why do we always have to read about this problem?" Interestingly, this problem wasn't one that he had personally.
 One question I have always wondered, How did the author come up with the title? The answer come when Atticus talks about the Mockingbird.  Now that I have read it I plan to answer comprehension questions and look through teacher guides to come up with the higher level thinking skills and questions that deal with those. So I can really study about characters, view points,  plots, language, etc.
I have noticed this about living in a small town. There is  a townie and student and university and not with the university attitude here in Oxford. This attitude wasn't in Liberty, but there there was an attitude of "Good Ol' Boy". Rather similar to the social classes in the book.

2 comments:

  1. I just read it this year so I definitely remember the story line. Did you know that Robert Duvall played Boo Radley in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I didn't know that! As I said I have never watched the entire movie in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete