Wednesday, September 2, 2009

OMG


This Saturday is it. I am going to take Lita to the DMV to get her driver's license. Look out America, here she comes. I can't believe she is old enough to drive.

Flash back to when I was in high school. My senior year Sharon and I took driver's ed. class together. I was scared to death to drive the blue driver's ed car. I did fine on the book test, but I knew I would fail the actual driving test. No one in my family would take me out driving.
To give mom and dad credit, they did pay for a driving school to drive me. I scared the driver by driving too close to cars parked on the side of the road in Carole Highlands. He had the enjoyment of teaching me to drive a stick shift. The sad part about the test was true! I failed the test twice at the parallel parking part. On the final test, I drove my Auntie Dode's tan (also know as grandma beige) corvair. I had never driven it before! (Or since.) But it was a bit easier to shift into reverse so I got through the test. When I walked into French class, Dr. Majec asked me in French of course, "Did I get my driver's license?" I said, "Yes." The whole class cheered. ( Actually this was a class of too smart seniors so they just clapped.)

My vow at that point was to always help any teen that needed a person to drive with them. (Unfortunately, I didn't help JJ, sorry I had forgotten the vow. Don't hate me forever.) But when I was 8 months pregnant I did help Virgie get her driver's license. We drove to North Gate for practice. I was still scared to be in the passenger seat, but I grinned and beared it! Jonathan was alright and so were we. But now... will I be able to do it again? What was I thinking to have a baby at 40?

No comments:

Post a Comment